Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Post #1: Response to Rebecca Blood

I found this article very interesting.  I was surprised to learn that sites devoted to weblogs first existed in 1998.  The popularity of weblog sites grew til 1999; but in July 1999, due to the launching of Pitas, a free build your own weblog site, hundreds of of other weblog sites became available.  I was also surprised to learn that originally weblog sites were made to post links, commentaries, and essays; and could only be created by people who already knew how to make a website.  However, all of this changed in 1999 with Blogger.com.  Blogger.com gave bloggers the opportunity to record thoughts about anything, allowing self-expression.  According to the article, Blogger "consists of an empty form box into which the blogger can type...anything: a passing thought, an extended essay, or a childhood recollection." 

I was surprised when I read that blogs were first not intended for self expression.  Since I have never had my own blog and don't visit blogging websites often or hardly ever, I had never heard of Pitas, the blogging site that sparked the popularity of free writing blogs.  I believe that blogs are a great way for people of all ages to be able to express themselves through writing and pictures about anything they wish.   I believe for many people blogging can be done as a stress reliever or for enjoyment, allowing them to just "rant" about an interest that they may share with others. I think that Rebecca Blood's weblog site, Rebcca's Pocket sounds like a great site because like she said, it allows the blogger to "share his world."

I am looking forward to creating my own blog this semester so I can continually write about something that I am passionate about/interested in. I am excited that I will be given this chance to do something new and creative!

Marissa Mardo

No comments:

Post a Comment