Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wikipedia

I understand that the intended purpose of Wikipedia is to allow the public to edit and make changes to the site, but I feel that the new feature, "flagged revisions" is a good idea because I wouldnt want to go online and read inaccurate information.  However, because it can be edited or revised at any time by anyone, I understand why professors do not want students to use Wikipedia as a source when doing any type of research paper or project, because it is not considered a reliable source for those reasons.

I wouldn't say that I use Wikipedia regularly; I use it on occasion.  I know that Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but I like to sometimes use it to get a brief summary/background on a particular topic.  I like using it because it provides me with an easily written, and easy to read basic summary. Most often, it is the first website that comes up. I have never contributed to Wikipedia, probably because I don't know more than what is already on it about a specific topic.

Marissa Mardo

No comments:

Post a Comment